Summary of Professional Fees and Other Costs for Patenting Your Invention
- Whenever possible, we will offer our services on a flat-rate – fixed-fee basis, assuming we have a complete disclosure of the scope of work involved.
- If a flat fee is not available, our hourly rate is $150/hr.
- We do not guarantee that fixed fees are available for every project. We will need to review your complete invention disclosure or USPTO Office Action before providing any specific fixed fee quotes.
- There is no charge for a fixed fee quote.
Our Professional Fixed Fees (When Available)
1. Provisional Utility Patent Applications:
Usually in the range of $1800 to $2200, depending on the complexity of your invention, and depending on the estimated size of the patent application we will draft.
The fees listed below include a fully and properly drafted patent application, similar to a non-provisional patent application, but without the full claim set.
|Patent Application Size / Complexity||Our Typical Professional Fixed Fee||Approximate Number of Text Pages||Number of Claims Included|
|Large||$2000 or more||15 or more||1|
2. Non-Provisional Utility Patent Applications:
Usually in the range of $2500 to $3500, depending on the complexity of your invention, and depending on the estimated size of the patent application we will draft.
The fees listed below include a properly drafted utility patent application, with a full claim set.
|Patent Application Size / Complexity||Our Usual Professional Fixed Fee||Approximate Maximum Number of Text Pages||Maximum Number of Claims Included|
|Large||$3500 or more||20 or more||20|
3. US Patent Search with Patentability Opinion:
Usually in the range of $600-$1000, depending on the type and complexity of your invention.
4. USPTO Office Action Responses:
|Office Action Complexity / Size||Our Usual Professional Fixed Fee|
|Simple / Small||$1200|
|Moderate / Medium||$1500|
|Complex / Large||$1800|
5. Design Patent Applications:
Our usual professional fixed fee: $900.
*Our Professional Fixed Fees Above Do Not Include:
- Graphics/Drawing fees: Will normally be about $75-$125 per page if you (optionally) hire a graphics firm to prepare your patent drawings. Many inventors are able to prepare good quality patent drawings themselves on their own computers using various commercial or freeware software utilities. We can advise you on your alternatives to prepare your patent drawings.
- USPTO Fees: Including Patent Application Filing Fees, Issue Fees, Maintenance Fees, etc.: Filing fees for a Provisional (utility) patent application will normally range from $65-$130, depending on your business size and/or your income level. Filing fees for a Non-Provisional (utility) patent application will normally range from $400 to $730 depending on your business size and/or your income level. USPTO fees are subject to change, please see the USPTO.gov site for details.
Provisional vs. Nonprovisional Patent Applications:
- To obtain a utility patent on your invention, a non-provisional patent application must be filed.
- Filing a provisional patent application before you file a non-provisional patent application is an optional step that allows you up to one year to market or evaluate your invention during which time your invention is patent pending.
- If you have filed a provisional application prior to filing a non-provisional application, usually most of the provisional application can be reused in the non-provisional application. So that the cost of the provisional application will be largely recovered.
Additional Costs to Patent your invention after Filing Your Patent Application
- Professional Fees: Filing a patent application is the first step required to have a patent granted on your invention. If your invention is patentable, normally several USPTO Office Action responses will need to be drafted and filed during the examination of your patent application, before a patent is granted by the USPTO. Please see our Office Action fee information above.
- USPTO Issuance fees: Please see the fee information on the USPTO.gov website for details.
- USPTO Patent Maintenance Fees: Please see the fee information on the USPTO.gov website for details. These fees are due about every 3-4 years.